Different limits in 32bit vs 64bit?

Background: We use iptables to mark and count traffic for all the ip addresses in our class B subnet. We then use Linux QoS to shape the traffic. (We give priority to users who have used less traffic in the last 24 hours. See http://www.resnetsymposium.org/resnet2009/session_materials/GustavusBandwidthManagement.pdf for a presentation I gave on our setup.)

Problem: This week we attempted to move our traffic shaping box to a new machine. The old one is 32 bit Centos. The new box was running Centos 5.5 x86_64. When we went to "restore" our /etc/sysconfig/iptables file, it failed on the COMMIT line. We could get it to work if we only did the first 101 class C subnets.

I just reinstalled Centos on the new machine running 32 bit, and now it can load the exact same file it failed on with 64 bit.

Is this a known limitation of Netfilter/iptables? Is it a bug?

The machine only has 2GB of RAM, so I guess we'll just run 32 bit for now. I'd love to know if there is a fix though, in case we (or someone else) ever has a need for a large number of iptables rules on a 64bit system.

Ethan

--
Ethan Sommer
Associate Director of Core Services