Re: ipv6 forwarding without netfilter

On 31 Jul 2010, at 18:47, Pascal Hambourg <pascal.mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

Mark Ryden a écrit :
According to this link:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO.html#FIREWALLING-NETFILTER6

"In IPv6 you can't control forwarding per device, forwarding control
has to be done using IPv6-netfilter (controlled with ip6tables)
rulesets and specify input and output devices (see
Firewalling/Netfilter6  for more). This is different to IPv4, where
you are able to control forwarding per device (decision is made on
interface where packet came in). "

My question is:
Suppose you don't want to control forwarding in IPv6 on a certain
device, just forward packets which are received on any device.
I am not sure that this howto is relevant.
Is it true that in order to achieve IPV6 forwarding you must use
netfilter rule ?

No.

Is it possible to achieve forwarding simply by running:
echo "1" /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding

without setting any ip6tables netfilter rule ?

Yes.
If you don't need filtering, you don't need ip6tables.