Re: h323 ALG .

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, ratheesh k wrote:

> >> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Jozsef Kadlecsik
> >> <kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You allow clients on the LAN to connect outside and enable bidirectional
> > connections. After that any side of the connection can issue correct H.323
> > protocol commands and trigger expectations in any direction.
>
> Could you please explain in detail  ?   How tcp+syn packets comes from
> wan side and hit ip_conntrack_in ()  ?

You have got these rules:

iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i lan0  -o wan0  -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

which I break up into the following ones:

1. iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
2. iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
3. iptables -A FORWARD -i lan0  -o wan0  -j ACCEPT
4. iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

plus an application helper loaded in, in this example FTP:

- your client send a SYN packet to an FTP server: allowed by rule 3.
- server answers: allowed by rule 1.
- client-server connection goes on: allowed by rule 1.
- client wants to initiate an active FTP connection: allowed by rule 1
	- and intercepted by the FTP helper, which creates an expectation:
	  connection initiated from the server to the client
- server sends the SYN packet of the active connection (from wan to lan):
  allowed by rule 2.
- client answers it: allowed by rule 1.
- ...

Technically the same happens with H.323, except that that is a more
complex protocol.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-