Re: iptables NEW or SYN

NEW is a packet which the firewall did not see before( Yes , meeting a
new person today)
ESTABLISHED - Is a connection that already exists ( an open session:
Meeting a girl in the way to the store ( NEW ) then meeting her in our
way back from the store ( ESTABLISHED - we are already familiar ).

SYN is a part of TCP (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol- this could
help understand better ).
the 3-way handshake is done: "SYN" -> "SYN ACK" -> "ACK"
The reply of SYN-ACK Transfer the state to ESTABLISHED.

Kind regards
Levi Yechiel