NAT table bypass for local traffic

So, I have an interesting observation.  I am doing some wonky fun
stuff with iptables and have noticed that traffic generated by a host
on an existing connection, is bypassing the NAT table for processing.
I ran netcat listenening on a host and log all traffic on the OUTPUT
and POSTROUTING chains.  When I connect from another host, the traffic
is not processed by those chains.  However, if I initiate a connection
from that host, the chains are processed appropriately.  Is this by
design or is this a bug?  The traffic does pass through the mangle
table, just not the NAT table.  Anyone ever encounter something like
this?  I have verified this on both CentOS 5.4 (2.6.18) and busybox
(2.6.27).

Bill