Re: Blocking all APNIC addresses vs. per-country list

В Пнд, 26/04/2010 в 16:34 +0200, Pascal Hambourg пишет:
> Hello,
>
> Richard Horton a écrit :
> >
> > A better option would be to drop ssh connections if the number of
> > attempts from a single ip address exceedes an acceptable limit
>
> Preferably the number of *failed* attempts. That's what fail2ban and the
> like do.
>
> > can't see many legit uses for ssh where you you connect and
> > disconnect multiple times within a 1 minute window)
>
> What about scp ?

Regarding my rules multiple sequential scp attempt will get slow, but
sftp won't.

> > This can be done using either hashlimit or the recent matches...
>
> They don't know about failed attemps.

And this might be not needed. Fail2ban is more specific solution but
also is more complex and heavy. In my enviroment I haven't been feeling
iptables is insuficient and I need fail2ban, nevertheless, it should be
considered in other enviroments.

--
Покотиленко Костик <casper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>