Re: Blocking all APNIC addresses vs. per-country list

Peter Zieseniss wrote:

> My question, therefore, is this:
> Is it wise to use a 4000-line long block-list for iptables? Or will doing
> so bring my server to a crawl (which it already is because of these darn
> brute-force ssh attacks) because for each TCP packet it has to spend 5
> minutes going through the entire list?
> Should i just forget about Australia and Japan, and block all APNIC
> countries with just a 40-line list instead?

Why not use denyhosts? http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/

Works with tcp wrapper; auto-updates /etc/hosts.deny; sends and accepts
new bad hosts back to the mothership.
--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.    |   5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting    |   Owings Mills, MD 21117