Possible IPTables bug in INPUT interface filtering?

Hello IPFilter Guru World,

I've encountered some strangeness in filtering on a multihomed Linux
box, CentOS 5, x86_64, 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5, where using the interface
flag (-i) does not work.

So this box has two interfaces on the local subnet, eth0 and eth1. I
would like to restrict VNC to only one of the interfaces, eth1. At the
start, VNC does not work. So I add this:

-A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp -m multiport --port 5900 -j ACCEPT

Then, VNC starts working on eth0 AND eth1. Since I know the address of
eth1, I then put it in explicitly as:

-A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp -d 192.168.1.34 -m multiport --port 5900 -j ACCEPT

Amazingly, this works and now VNC traffic is only allowed on eth1
(address 192.168.1.34). So I believe I am concluding correctly that
interface filtering *does not work* for INPUT statements in multihomed
machines. I also wonder if it does not work at all for any interface.

This is with IPTables 1.3.5. It is a real PITA since I have to rewrite
all my rules for specific IPs and then bind my adapters to those IPs.
Any meaninful comments are appreciated, even if I am really off base
here.

Thanks!

-- IngyHere