Re: ssh overflow blacklisting not working properly

On 29 March 2010 08:31, J. Bakshi <joydeep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport $SSH_PORT -m
> hashlimit \
> --hashlimit 3/min --hashlimit-burst 1 --hashlimit-htable-expire 180000 \
> --hashlimit-mode srcip --hashlimit-name sshlimit -j ACCEPT
>
> #----------------------------------------#
>
> As expected connection attempt more than 3 in a min is dropped and
> ensure only 3 connection per minute. But It should also block the source
> IP for 3 min and this part is not working here. Could any one kindly
> suggest any clue or reason behind this ?

Unless you have other rules floating around all the rule does is allow
upto 3 connections per minute to ssh based on source-ip. It won't
block other connections from that source ip, just the ssh ones which
exceed your defined limit (3/min).

I'd guess from your comments there are additional rules, without
seeing them though very hard to work out what is wrong as all I can
say is that rule does its job... blocking ssh > 3 connection attempts
per min per soucre ip.

R.