Re: transparent proxy

On 10.03.2010 01:23, netfilter-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 00:44:14 +0100, "Marco Schuth" <marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Iam using iptables on my router, and have a dedicated proxy server with
>> squid sarg and squidguard running.
>>
>> all the clients send the request for a website to the default gw (router
>
>> 10.12.0.1) the router redirects (dnat)
>> the package to the proxy server ip:10.12.0.250
>> but in the logs i get the ip from the router.
>
> NAT destroys the IP addresses before they leave the machine doing NAT.
> Please read the Squid FAQ examples of how to configure policy routing ...
>
> Router:
>  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/IptablesPolicyRoute
>
> Squid box:
>   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/LinuxDnat
>
> Amos
> Squid Project

Hello,

I'd like to ask, if in the above examples, the ACCEPT rules need to be
placed in the mangle table?
Is there a specific reason, couldn't it be done in the filter table?
As that would be the intended/preferred use for filtering?
If so, don't the examples teach people 'bad manners'?

Best regards

Mart