Re: best approach for blocklist

Mart Frauenlob wrote:
On 05.03.2010 17:17, netfilter-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I'm wondering what the most efficient way to implement a blocklist is.
We are basically talking about blocking a few thousand IPs. Does
iptables do some internal optimizations when blocking based on a source
address or would it be better to, say, create a chain for each class A
net (e.g. 83.0.0.0/8) and then add the IPs in that range to that class
to make the matching more efficient?

There is a PDF I'm too lazy to google for about how the university of florida mitigated a DDOS from a worm using TARPIT. Point being they had to TARPIT hundreds of thousands of IPs and had to deal with the performance issues behind that. It's a good read.