Re: multicast packets

On Fri 26 February 2010, ratheesh k wrote:
> INPUT  policy is DROP
> FORWARD policy is DROP
> OUTPUT policy is accept
>

> INPUT chain
> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0  -j ACCEPT
>

> FORWARD
> iptables -A FORWARD  -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT  -i eth0  -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
I imagine that this is a typo and that you meant the FORWARD chain.

> machine                    Gateway machine B
>    A -------------------->eth0              eth1 -------------> internet
>
> I have a machine A . which is connected to a linux gateway machine .
> Ruleset and policy mentioned are for machine B . There is no iptables
> rules in machine A .

> As per the current rule , no igmp packet should come to GATEWAY
> machine , since there is no firewall hole in input chain .

> But i can see , igmp packets flowing into machine B from internet .
Where can you see these igmp packets? With wireshark/tcpdump? If it is one of
those, than it is normal, because these capture the packets before the
iptables filter.

Seen your ruleset, the packets should not enter, if they are coming from the
internet.

Regards,
Christoph

Christoph Paasch