is there suppose to be an error message when a module is not loaded?

Hi All,

I am using 64 bit CenOS 5.4 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone)
and iptables-1.3.5-5.3.el5_4.1

I am fighting with a situation were my ip_conntrack_ftp
is not loading.

Question, when I run my firewall rule with

   -m helper --helper ftp

and ip_conntrack_ftp is not loaded, should I have
been presented with an error message?

The rule certainly did not work until I modprobed
ip_conntrack_ftp into the fray.

Is this a bug? And is it time to report it to Red Hat?

Many thanks,
-T