Re: MASQUERADE and ACCEPT targets

On 24.02.2010 15:45, netfilter-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> All ,
>
>      R1)   iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -m state --state
> ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>      R2)   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING   -o eth0 -j MASQERADE
>

>                                         machine "B"
>                                      ------------------------------------------
>                                      |                                        |
>                                      |                                        |
> machine "A"   ------> eth0 |
> |eth1----------------------------------------> internet
>                                      |                                        |
>                                      |                                        |
>                                      ------------------------------------------
>
>  I applied rules R2 and i am able to browse internet from machine A .
>
>  1. Is there any problem if i apply R1 ?
>  2. if packet state become ESTABLISHED ( not a new packet ) , do we
> need MASQERADE target for remaing packets ???
>
> Thanks,
> Ratheesh

The nat table only sees state NEW packets.
A rule with state "ESTABLISHED,RELATED" will never match there.
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE is good (without
the typo).

Do filtering (ACCEPT/DROP/REJECT) in the filter table.
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

same for OUTPUT maybe.

Best regards

Mart