SNAT - matching original and natted IP addresses

Hi,

I'm trying to map a range of private IP addresses to a range of public
IP addresses. For this, I'm using SNAT:

    # iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s <private range> -d ! <private
range> -j SNAT --to-source <public range>

The public range is higher than private range. I can see from
conntrack that the last 2 octets of original and natted IP addresses
are always the same. Can I be sure that the mapping is always correct
without parsing conntrack from time to time because it's heavy
processing? Or is there any other way that I can make sure the mapping
is always correct?

Thanks.

Shirley