Re: iptables for bandwidth tracking

On 06/01/10 03:46, Michael Nguyen wrote:

- Using one of the many libpcap daemons to monitor and record traffic patterns
- Use iptables

Each VPN node has the possibility of 64,000 IP addresses so if I used iptables, I'd need to create iptables rules for each of those IP addresses. That seems silly to me, but am I better off doing that than running a daemon that at the end of the day will basically do the same thing? Thanks in advance.

Are those 64K addresses all in one subnet?   Then something like

    iptables -A FORWARD -s 10.0.0.0/16 -j node1
    iptables -A FORWARD -d 10.0.0.0/16 -j node1
    iptables -A FORWARD -s 10.1.0.0/16 -j node2
    ... and so on

Then you can just collect the stats as and when you feel the need.

The advantage of that is that it's very easy to do and has very little performance impact (I believe).

On the other hand, the various libpcap daemons that I came across when I was looking for something for home might be better suited to what you're after.

jch