Spontaneous reboot after change ip_pkt_list_tot - deb

I'm working on some virtual servers running debian with kernel version:
2.6.18.8.xs5.5.0.13.442.

iptables version v1.3.6.

I've been running some tests on an test server which frankly doesn't get
much traffic. I've ran the recent module with a modified maximum
hitcount which has been running without problems for several weeks.
The file I edited for this
was /sys/module/ipt_recent/parameters/ip_pkt_list_tot

However once I changed it on a live environment it soon rebooted itself
without any real indication as to why. Even changing it at all resulted
in the same problem. Now I couldn't find much of a reason for this so
I'm hoping one of you could fill me in on this or could give me a
recommendation or tip.

I've tried looking up info but frankly couldn't find any real
information other than people recommending to change it, which at this
point seems like a curious recommendation.

Thanks in advance.