Re: Forward Chain: is Inbound traffic on eth0 not also Outbound depending on your view?

You seem to be over-thinking in the wrong direction. :)

iptables by itself is not concerned with what you as administrator
consider "outbound" or "inbound" traffic to/from your "network".

-i <interfacename> simply mean: match traffic arriving to this machine
on this interface.
-o <interfacename> simply mean: match traffic that the routing system
says will leave this machine via this interface.

These are from the perspective of the firewall itself. What inbound
and outbound means with respect to your client machines is a different
thing.

Provided that you have no other interfaces the two rules you've
specified actually both match the same traffic: Packets arriving on
eth0 and being routed to the subnet on eth1. However, none of those
rules will match traffic arriving on eth1 (from your clients), heading
for the external network.

/Oskar