Re: Correctly classifying iptables NAT beahaviour...

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Toby Bradshaw wrote:

> I notice that the default iptables MASQ and SNAT behaviour appears to be an
> odd hybrid of both port restricted and symmetric NATs. As long as the host
> behind the iptables NAT is the first sender then the external firewall port
> becomes open and packets sent from in reply from the right ip:port will pass
> through the firewall. This is classic port restricted behaviour. However, if a
> packet is sent first from an external host to the ip:port address that would
> have been used by an internal host then when the internal host attempts to
> send to the same external host it's port becomes changed on the way through
> NAT (usually to 1024 in my experience). This is classic symmetric behaviour.

As I wrote at netfilter-devel around May this year,

- According to the terminology of RFC 3489, netfilter implements port
  restricted cone NAT. If the --random flag is specified to the
  SNAT/MASQUERADE/... targets, it's better described as a symmetric NAT.
- According to the terminology of RFC 4787 and RFC 5382, netfilter
  implements
  - endpoint-independent mapping. If the --random flag is
    specified to the SNAT/MASQUERADE/... targets, it's an
    address and port-dependent mapping.
  - address and port-dependent filtering.

Best regards,
Jozsef