Re: CPU usage of simple DROP rule

Hello

>I have a single OUTPUT rule (drop a particular UDP host:port) that
>My 8 cores are all at about 30% usage when I have no rules defined
>(and the packets are going out to the switch). When I add that rule,
>one of the cores shoots to 100%, another to 70% or so. The rest don't
>really change.

Looks like two cores are being hit by ksoftirqd. There are some paths
you can explore to achieve lower cpu usage/better core-load
distribution:
- try using smp_affinity - bind different nic irqs to different cores;
  you can also use bonding to achieve better traffic distribution
  among nics;
- are you using intel i/o at dma support? it should lower network
  overhead for localy generated traffic;
- try adjusting nic coalesce parameters - it should lower network
  cpu overhead at the cost of higher latency;

Cheers
Marek Kierdelewicz