Re: Some clarifications regarding netfilter / iptables

On Wednesday 2009-09-09 18:03, Balaji Venkatamohan wrote:

>1. How does the conntrack module code access the header fields of an IP
>packet? Does the accessing of IP packets fall under the functions of
>ip_conntrack module or ip_tables module?

Neither; you do that with, for example, skb_header_pointer, a core
network function.

>2.I want to access the latest version of ip_tables, ip_conntrack and
>ip_conntrack_ftp source code. I need to write a simple module on the lines
>of ip_conntrack to allow a simple connection of my choosing. So I need to
>know where to start coding. I will be grateful if I get some help in this
>regard.

nf_conntrack itself does not "allow" connections. It just tracks them.
Additionally, the 'real work' is done by submodules such as nf_conntrack_ipv4,
nf_conntrack_ipv6, nf_conntrack_proto_sctp, etc.

>3. Is it possible to write our own ip_conntrack module and if yes can we
>define our own state table? Who defines a state table and where is it
>defined?

I think you will be wanting nf_conntrack_proto_tcp.c.