Re: Checking line status

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 10:23 +0100, John Lister wrote:
Hi, I have a multihomed machine to which i'd like to check the status of
each line periodically. I want to do this so that I can modify the iptables rules and send new connections out over the active lines and restore service
when the line comes back up.

I thought I could use ping with the -I option, but that doesn't seem to
work, it always uses the default route. However if I get rid of the default
route and modify the rules to match the packets I get a "network
unreachable" message without it ever hitting iptables. For example adding
something like this never gets matched for the ping.

You need to ensure that your ping packets come from the right IP and get
routed to the right interface. Useless comment maybe, but without
you posting your details here it is difficult to say more specific
things ;)

Binding to the right IP is accomplished with ping -I <IP>, just as you
do. But then you need some sort of route to send this packet to the
right interface (-I has nothing to do with that). One way to achieve
this could be using things like scapy where basically roll your own ping
tool and just force the packet out on the right interface.

Or you could use policy routing like this:

/sbin/ip rule add from <Secondary Interface IP> pref 10000 table 100

/sbin/ip route add default via <Secondary Next HOP IP> table 100

Cheers, that did the trick, didn't realise that was possible.. Just got to make sure all my other rules (both firewall and routing) are still working -

John