Re: Hot to design syn-flood protection based on ip ?

Hello,

>Thanks a lot, what about this ruleset ?
>iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn  -m hashlimit \
> --hashlimit 1/sec --hashlimit-burst 4 --hashlimit-htable-expire 300000
>\ --hashlimit-mode srcip --hashlimit-name testlimit -j ACCEPT
>iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
>The concept here the blocked ip doing the syn-flood will be blacklisted
>for 5 min and will be checked again after that interval.

I think it won't work as a blacklist just drop syns that are above
1/sec. Option htable-expire is not for blacklisting but for setting
timeframe in which hashlimit is operating (eg. it won't work well if you
set htable-expire to 300s and have hashlimit set to 20/hour). To obtain
desired effect you can use recent module (great work by Stephen Frost
by the way):

iptables -A INPUT -m recent --name blacklist --rcheck --seconds 300 \
-j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn  -m hashlimit \
 --hashlimit 1/sec --hashlimit-burst 4 --hashlimit-htable-expire 300000\
 --hashlimit-mode srcip --hashlimit-name testlimit -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m recent --name blacklist --set -j DROP

You can find more information about recent here:
- http://snowman.net/projects/ipt_recent/
- and in manpage;

Best regards,
Marek