question about string matching and L7 filter..

Hi,

If i  use advanced string matching capability of iptables, will it
work without connection tracking ? If it doesn't work, then it s
stateful and whats the difference between 2 cases when  i do the
following 2 things,

1) Use string matching on URL strings without L7 patch
2) Use L7 filter to match URL strings without using ipatable string
matching feature.

is this 2 features are going to be consolidated as the iptable core in
some way or L7 patch remains as an independent work ?

My goal here is to convert my Linux box as an Application layer
gateway with application specific bandwidth provisioning, redirection,
cache.

i  would greatly appreciate your thoughts.
--
Best regards,
Peter Chacko