Re: Firewall Configuration Help

Julien Vehent wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:20:18 +0200, Mart Frauenlob
<mart.frauenlob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Julien Vehent wrote:
Hello Nicholas,

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:56:59 -0400, NICHOLAS KLINE <nkline@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi,

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.x desktop edition running on a
laptop. Before I plug the laptop into a public network and proceed to
patch it, I want to make sure I have a secure firewall in place.

This particular system will not be running any server services such as
HTTPD, SSH, FTP, etc. Inbound traffic should be denied unless an
outbound connection was first established.
I will mostly be using a wired internet connection but I might switch
to wireless once in awhile.

After reading a few Linux security books, I have a decent set of
firewall rules almost ready to put into place. The only rule
preventing me from putting the firewall in place is:

# Set default-deny policies for all chains.
# User-defined chains cannot be assigned default policies.
$IPTABLES -P INPUT DROP
$IPTABLES -P FORWARD DROP
$IPTABLES -P OUTPUT DROP

$IPTABLES -t nat -P PREROUTING DROP
$IPTABLES -t nat -P OUTPUT DROP
$IPTABLES -t nat -P POSTROUTING DROP

$IPTABLES -t mangle -P PREROUTING DROP
$IPTABLES -t mangle -P OUTPUT DROP

I don't like the default policy because you can't log anything in these
rules.
I prefer to put at the end of the ruleset something like
--------
   echo "Default log drop, at the end so we just drop what doesn't
match
the
previous rules"
   $IPT -N LOGDROP
   $IPT -A LOGDROP -j LOG --log-prefix "DROP => " --log-level debug
   $IPT -A LOGDROP -j DROP

   $IPT -A INPUT -i $NETCARD -j LOGDROP
   $IPT -A OUTPUT -o $NETCARD -j LOGDROP
--------
that allows you to log and then drop, instead of just dropping.

Why not just put a log rule as the final rule and let the policy drop the packet? That way there's less rules and traffic gets logged and
dropped.

You would not log the firewall's decision then. Only the packet details.

iptables -A INPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "INPUT_POLICY_DROP: " ...
iptables -A OUTPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "OUTPUT_POLICY_DROP: " ...
iptables -A FORWARD -j LOG --log-prefix "FORWARD_POLICY_DROP: " ...

policies do the rest. IMHO you get to know everything you need.

greets

Mart