netfilter + perl payload mangling in userspace

I wanted to modify the payload of packets in userspace, preferably with
perl.  I have tried to google to find something, encountered some dead
links.  I have not be able to get the example Net::Divert to work,
however it appears that I am not able to divert properly.  I cant find
any working examples of how to do the iptables command to divert.

Is there any other way to modify the payload of a packet from userspace,
preferably with perl?

can someone provide me with a working example of how to do iptables to
divert?

I have iptables 1.4.1.1 on eeebuntu (ubuntu base) and a kernel of 2.6.27

Thank you
pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721