Can Blocking Reserved RFC1918 and RFC3330 Spoofing be simplified?

Dear all,

If I wanted to block incoming IP address ranges from RFC1918 and RFC3330 must I create rules for each of the reserved addresses along the INPUT and FORWARD chains?

(It would be around 30plus rules when applying to both INPUT and FORWARD chains)

Would the following equally work?

Suppose I have an internal class C network 192.168.1.* and imagine I was running a web server for public use. Interface eth1 is the internet facing NIC port and eth0 is the internal port NIC.

Could I not just have 2 kinds of rules to block all RFC1918 and RFC3330 spoofed packets.

First KIND: DROP EVERYTHING BY DEFAULT VIA CHAIN POLICY

iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP

SECOND KIND: DROP INDIVIDUAL PACKET TYPES

% Rule 1: Drop everything from outside.
iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -j DROP

% Rule 2: Drop my internal IP range arriving from outside
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j DROP

% Rule 3: allow access to web server from all IP addresses.
% note this rule must come after Rule 2.
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -s 0/0 -d 192.168.1.2 -j ACCEPT

% Rule 4: Drop all other packets arriving on the FORWARD chain port eth1
% The default FORWARD Policy SHOULD cover this! But add it just in case.
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -j DROP

kind regards,
Will.

William M. Fitzgerald (MSc, BSc)