Re: Choices for virtual IP failover (was Re: Firewall in Load Balance - Active/Active)

Hi,

* Thomas Jacob

> Keepalived does not have IPv6 support (yet, VRRP for IPv6 is fairly
> recent) but otherwise provides all the features and also can watch
> the link states of network devices. The major drawback is that it also
> has a IPVS module which is printing harmless error messages when the
> underlying kernel doesn't support IPVS but I suppose you could prevent
> that if you'd compile keepalived yourself.

I knowthat keepalived has a command line option to only start the VRRP
parts of the code (-P).  Perhaps that will silence the warnings?

The lack of IPv6 support is something I miss, too.  I plan to deal with
it by adding/removing the HA IPv6 addresses from shell scripts ithat
runs when the state changes (the settings notify_{master,backup,fault}).
I didn't try it yet but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.  You'll
need to piggy-back it on an IPv4 VIP though (just use dummy addresses
from 169.254.0.0/16 or RFC1918 space for single-stack IPv6 networks).

> Finally the problem with all these implementations is that they don't
> support virtual MAC addresses in the way VRRP is usually provides
> by router vendors and thus have to send gratuitous ARP requests
> to inform their networks about the new MAC address after a failover.

I think this is due to a limitation in the Linux kernel - it is simply
not possible to have a multiple unicast layer-2 addresses assigned to a
single network interface.  Go bug the people on netdev - I'm sure
keepalived will support VMAC immediately after the necessary kernel
changes have been made.

BR,
--
Tore Anderson