Re: torrent client traffic shaping question

If you read from socket at fixed rate, it's TCP receive buffer is emptied at same rate. TCP announces free buffer in receive window field, so congestion window on sender side is also adjusted, thus limiting send speed to the rate you read from socket on receiver side.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brent Clark" <brentgclarklist@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:47 AM
Subject: torrent client traffic shaping question

Hiya

I got this question to ask, and I was hoping the TCP/IP gurus would be able to help me understand this.

K you know how with traffic shapping you can control only the traffic leaving you, how it is that torrent clients say they can control the download as well as the upload. I would think the client can only control the upload.

TIA

Brent Clark