Re: Conntrackd and UDP

Michele Codutti wrote:
Hello, I'm using conntrackd in a ha clustered firewall. Since the
initial setup I configured conntrackd (version 0.9.6-4 from a a Debian
Lenny) to sync only TCP connections.

BTW, that's a one year old release, I *strongly* suggest you to upgrade to some recent release. Similarly, I also suggest you to use lastest kernel release which includes recent versions of ctnetlink.

In the past few days I've read this tutorial:
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html
and after that I've one question:
Conntrackd is capable to sync also the UDP entries of the state machine?
If it is so: it is a good thing to configure conntrackd to sync also the
UDP entries in a clustered firewall?

It depends on the UDP traffic and your rule-set, for example, I don't synchronize UDP DNS traffic but you may want to do it for long-standing UDP flows for real-time communications. With regards to your rule-set, if you perform UDP filtering based on who starts the communications, like from A -> B allow starting UDP flows, but not the opposite (B -> A), then it may be of help to avoid communications hangs after the failover.

UDP is unreliable, so you will lose data during the failover, in real-time applications the user would experience a temporary communication breakage, but the communication would not hang which is one of the targets of conntrackd.

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers