Re: Problem with conntrackd: TCP RST sent on NAT connections

For the record (users googling for problems).

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers
--- Begin Message ---
> Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a strange problem here. I set up a testbed like in the on on the
> > website, except that I have NAT im my scenario.
> >
> > When I test a SSH connection everything goes fine.
> >
> > When I download a file via HTTP the first failover works, but the
> > failback breaks the connection and the download stops. Tracing the
> > connection show that during the failback the HTTP Server sends a package
> > to the virtual NAT address of my firewall and the firewall send a TCP RST
> > back and thus stops the connection.
> >
> > Of course I tried first to sync the connection table and after that set
> > up my virtual addresses, but it seems that it does not help.
> >
> > A similar problem was described from Abhijit Menon-Sen on Oct, 30th 2007
> > on the nf-failover mailing list. But I did not find any solution there.
> >
> > My system:
> > debian lenny.
> > Kernel 2.6.26-1-686
>
> I remember that this kernel version has some problems if your setup has
> any helper, if so, I suggest you to upgrade to latest linux kernel.
>
> > conntrackd version 0.9.6-4
>
> This is rather old conntrack-tools version. Could you try latest
> conntrack-tools version from www.netfilter.org?
>
> Using the latest primary-backup.sh script from git.netfilter.org instead
> of the old ones that you are using would be also a good idea:
>
> http://git.netfilter.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=conntrack-tools.git;a=tree;f=
>doc/sync;h=d0e3afe1bca3a581d246fa0b07b67bb8175295f6;hb=HEAD
>
> > Mode: FTFW, heartbeat as HA solution.
> >
> > My firewall does allow everything. The only rule is the NAT rule that
> > translats all packets comming from internal to the virtual external
> > address.
>
> Your firewall has to drop invalid packets at least, see the example
> rule-set in the website. The firewall sends a TCP RST to the client if
> it didn't find the NAT information, this happens when the conntrack
> entry does not exist.
>
> > Any idea what could be wrong? How could I trace the problem further?
>
> After the first failover, check the primary's internal cache and
> backup's external cache with the commands:
>
> show internal cache (do this in the primary):
> # conntrackd -i
>
> show external cache (do this in the backup):
> # conntrackd -e
>
> They should show the same entries.

Hi,

I did an update to:
kernel 2.6.28-1
libnfnetlink 0.0.40
libnetfilter_conntrack-0.0.99
and
conntrack-tools-0.9.11

No it seems to work everything. Thanks for your help.

Waiting to see these packages in the "usual" distributions ...

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch@xxxxxxxxxxx
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42

--- End Message ---