Re: icmp forward

what michele said is correct...this would work since you are utilizing the prerouting / nat

Sent from my iPhone

On 30-Jan-09, at 12:33 AM, Michele Petrazzo - Unipex srl <michele.petrazzo@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Hinko Kocevar wrote:
Hi all,
I'm an absolute beginner on the netfilter stuff, so please bear with me here. We have a device running linux 2.6.19 kernel with iptables installed. It acts a a gateway for a another mobile device that connects to linux device via irda port - ppp connection. I've managed to port forward telnet port to mobile device with the help of this page http://kreiger.linuxgods.com/kiki/?Port+forwarding+with+netfilter . Our customers want to be able to ping the mobile device behind the linux firewall and IMHO it is not possible for ICMP packets to be forwarded since it is a protocol
by itself (not a TCP/UDP style service).
Is it possible to 'port forward' ICMP requests?

Sure? Looking at firsts google reply, you can find

iptables -A FORWARD -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p icmp DNAT --to-destination 10.2.1.1

end so on...

Or I miss something?

Thank you,
HK