Re: SMP load balancing of softirqs

* Thomas Jacob

> Some newer NICs (some of Intel's for instance) support several packet
> queues to make it possible to deal with just this problem.
>
> Check out http://lwn.net/Articles/289137/ for a start...

Interesting link, thanks!   However, I was under the impression that the
problem is incoming (RX) frames, that causes an interrupt to be raised
on a certain CPU (core) which in turn causes the frame to be processed
by that particular CPU by the NET_RX softirq handler.

The multiqueue patch seem to be about being able to submit outgoing (TX)
frames to multiple hardware queues.  So I don't think it will make much
of a difference for me?

> It would be great if you'd let the list know of the results should you
> try to use one of the multiqueue NICs for a netfilter firewall, I for
> one am very curious...

I'll remember that.  Thanks again!

Best regards,
--