Re: Counting Connections

On 09  Jan 14, at 03:49 , Artūras Šlajus wrote:

Peter Renzland wrote:
I would also like to count connections (those that have been tracked), just like the packets and bytes that have been moved.
Can someone please show me how that can be done?
New connections? -m state --state NEW should work.

I *finally* figured this out. :-)

At first I thought that this could only count packets and bytes, but I want to count connections, not packets and bytes. Well, since each connection is started by exactly one packet, the number of such packets is the number of connections that I seek. Very clever. Thanks!!!

So, to count all connections:

iptables -N conncount
iptables -I FORWARD -j conncount
iptables -A conncount -m state --state NEW

And I can even count over-limit connection attempts:

iptables -N connover
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --syn -m iprange --src-range $IP1-$IP2 -m connlimit --connlimit-above 100 -j connover iptables -I FORWARD -p ! tcp -m iprange --src-range $IP1-$IP2 -m connlimit --connlimit-above 50 -j connover
iptables -A connover -j REJECT

Does that look about right?

(Do I really need that "--syn"?)

Thanks.