Re: Troubles with MARK target in 2.6.28

Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> But the spartanic output of those proc files barely helps (especially
>> in light of multiple revisions), so here is the patch I spoke about,
>> refreshed and rebased, that solves the worries.
>
> That seems a bit overkill. Text-based representation also doesn't seem
> ideal, iptables already has this information and a cmdline user will
> simply use "iptables ... -h" to get the supported option. For other
> programs a binary representation would probably be easier to handle.

Agreed. The text-based interface seems to me like yet-another-interface
that users may (ab)use (like /proc/net/nf_conntrack, I have seen people
polling from it to display information, this was OK in the early days).
Following this basis, one may come and implement another text-based
interface to display the rule-set in the kernel and so on.

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers