Re: SpamHaus DROP list in Netfilter

http://robotterror.com/site/wiki/aggressive_spam_and_zombie_blocking_via_spamhaus_org_drop_and_iptables

>> > on the first place.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >

>> Dear Doctor,
>>
>> Thanks for your tremendous help for adding a rule in a chain...... :/
>>
>> My question, however, concerns more the performances issue. This list
>> will
>> be checked for every single TCP-SYN or UDP packet that goes through the
>> kernel, and if the first byte is something like 128 , it's definitely
>> useless to try all the 91.*
>>
>> But implementing a tree of chains in netfilter is also quite a pain in
>> the
>> ass. So before choosing a solution, I would like the opinion of the
>> community.
>
> This sounds like a job for the "iphash" map of the ipset netfilter
> extension. Only one rule in your ruleset and a hash-table with the
> addresses to block.
>
> c'ya
> sven

OK ! So, this is what ipset is for ! I discovered this tool during the last
userday conference and was wondering how to use it.

I guess "nethash" is what I'm looking for :

Different size netblocks: nethash
ipset -N hash2 nethash
ipset -A hash2 192.168.1.0/24
ipset -A hash2 10.1.8.0/21

I will look more deeply at this. Thanks for the pointer.

--
www.linuxwall.info