Re: Kernel 2.6.21: 802.3 frames not hitting netfilter filter table FORWARD chain

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Jonothan Kane <jonothan.kane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all;
>
> I've got some old gear on a network with a couple of Linux transparent
> bridge firewalls protecting the network.
> For the regular Ethernet II frames the filtering in the netfilter
> filter table FORWARD chain works well.
>
> All old style 802.3 frames hit the ebtables  tables but not the
> netfilter filter table FORWARD chain.
> The 802.3 frames are carrying IP datagrams.  Is there a trick to get
> them into the FORWARD chain ?
> preferably without changing the bridging firewalls to routing firewalls.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> J Kane.

Well,  I did some poking around in the bridging code with some sk_buff printks.
Those 802.3 frames carrying IPv4 payload are coming in and being classified with
 sbk->protocol type of 802.2 (ETH_P_802_2)  and the skb->nh.raw
pointer is set to
the start of the LLC portion of the datalink header instead of the
start of the IPv4 payload.
( off by 8 bytes ).

The IPv4 payload never seems to get processed by the netfilter  filter
table rules.
I thought that the IPv4 payload would get detected and processed by
netfilter correctly.

Anyone else have any experience getting 802.3 frames carrying IPv4
payload through netfilter ?

J Kane.