Re: xtables problem

John Haxby wrote:

$ ./configure --with-kbuild=/lib/modules/2.6.27.6/build
$ make
 CC       libxt_CHAOS.oo
 CCLD     libxt_CHAOS.so
libxt_CHAOS.oo: In function `_init':
/home/jch/rpmbuild/BUILD/xtables-addons-1.6/extensions/libxt_CHAOS.c:112: multiple definition of `_init' /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.3.0/../../../../lib64/crti.o:(.init+0x0): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

You can go off a distro, you really can:

* Mon Feb 11 2008 Thomas Woerner <twoerner@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.4.0-1
- new version 1.4.0
- fixed condrestart (rhbz#428148)
- report the module in rmmod_r if there is an error
- use nf_ext_init instead of my_init for extension constructors

The description is possibly a little wrong because the upshot is that in <xtables.h> "_INIT" and the subsequent definition of "_init" are replaced with "NF_EXT_INIT" and "nf_ext_init" respectively. Neither Google nor Red Hat's bugzilla offer any readily findable explanation of this all I found was quite a few copies of the same comment in various different RPMs.

The only thing that springs to mind is that variables and C-preprocessor names whose names begin with "_" are reserved by C and you shouldn't use them.

If Thomas is listening, can you shed any light?

Would it not be nice, as well, if iptables and xtables could come to an agreement over what is the right thing to do. I'm surely not the first person to come unstuck with this.
Right, back to building an RPM from this thing.

jch