Re: INVALID state

On Thu November 13 2008, Gilad Benjamini wrote:
> Back to my original question then: what is the rule of thumb ?
> In other words, for a non-programmer reading proper documentation, how
> would the documentation describe INVALID ?

In the "Packet Filtering HOWTO" of netfilter.org, they say:

A packet which could not be identified for some reason: this includes running
out of memoory and ICMP errors which don't correspond to any known connection.

By looking to the code, I would say, that a packet is invalid, if the
connection tracker doesn't manages to create a proper connection-state for
that packet (memory-errors while treating the packet, ...), or the tests
defined by the specific protocol-handlers fail.

But I'm also asking me this question, because I have to implement shim6-
support in netfilter in the case of my Master Thesis. So does somebody can give
me a reference which will explain me, what a firewall should check, and what
not...? Should it check, if the packet respects the whole protocol (in case of
shim6: nonces, cga/hba, ...)?

Thanks for your help, and sorry, if i'm running out of the topic of that
thread.

--
Christoph Paasch

www.rollerbulls.be