Re: INVALID state

Hi,

On Thu November 13 2008, Thomas Jacob wrote:
> For instance, if your ICMP echo request doesn't go through your
> firewall, how can the stateful inspection know
> about the echo reply to be expected? Also, if the firewall
> doesn't see the initial TCP SYN packet, but the SYN-ACK goes
> through the firewall, it clearly shouldn't allow that through.

as I'm currently trying to understand the netfilter implementation, I tried to
find the point, where the ICMP-Echo-Reply gets filtered.

In xt_state.c->match(...) I saw, that it detects the state XT_STATE_INVALID if
there is no connection associated to the packet (skb->nfct). But in the ICMP
connection tracker I don't find the point, that it doesn't tracks the echo-
reply packets if no echo-request packet passed. I have the impression, that it
will track the echo-reply as a NEW connection.

Could someone please point me to the code?

Thanks in advance,

--
Christoph Paasch

www.rollerbulls.be