Userland Netfilter

I need to create a userland simulation for filtering packets.
I remember running into a userland netfilter, but can't seem to find it. Any
pointers or info would be appreciated.
Another option is to feed the packets into tun/tap devices, and let the real
netfilter do the job. Performance, of course, is not a concern in my case.
Does that sound reasonable ? Tun/tap seems to be an almost dead project.
Will it work in newer distributions ?

Thanks