Re: Shortcuts to counting rules?

Rick Jones wrote:
> Are there any reasonable ways I might relax that requirement that
> iptables-dev be present?  Are some of the datastructures used in the
> getsockopt() calls "stable enough" to do that that netperf could make
> the getsockopt() calls directly without having to pull-in libiptc?
> Netperf does not particularly care about the rules themselves, just
> their number.

libiptc is only intended for use by iptables itself.  The fact that
iptables-dev includes libiptc is a bug IMO.  There's probably some
applications out that that wrongly depend on it already though.

The getsockopt() calls are part of the linux ABI.  Using them is safe.
You just need to make sure you handle the case that they aren't
implemented.