Re: Log flooded with these...

On 10/19/2008 12:03 PM, Doc Nielsen wrote:
> SPT=68 DPT=67 = DHCP
>
> did you allow dhcp client/server requests and responses in the
> firewall?

Hey Doc,

Thanks for taking a look...

This is an well-established network, no major/unusual changes prior to
these entries showing up in the log, especially to firewall rules.

> do you have a running dhcp server/client?

The domain controller is the DHCP/DNS server, running Windows Server
2000. The linux server running iptables that has this logging issue has
a static IP, and is not (obviously) running a DHCP server or client.

> what kind of firewall are you using, as frontend for iptables?

I'm not using a 'front-end' - this is a gentoo linux box that serves a
mail and web server, which I also run iptables on for obvious reasons.
It has been running for over 3 years, is kept updated regularly (though
not obsessively so), and survived all of the ensuing major updates to date.

The only things I updated that day - but it was a few hours before this
started - was libpcre and udev...

Any other ideas?