IP forwarding with MASQUERADE

> I'm not an expert, so I answer it as a PM:

Out of curiosity, what does 'PM' stand for in this context?

>> I believe the connections that connection tracking is keeping
>> track of
>> are listed somewhere in /proc, but I don't know where off hand.
>
>> > My root file system is read-only?  Could that cause
>> problems?  Does the
>> > netfilter code generate any files in the root filesystem?
>
> Is your /proc filesystem writeable ?

The /proc filesystem seems to be rw:

# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/dev/mtdblock6 /mnt/flash yaffs2 rw 0 0

BTW, Ii'm not running udev.  All /dev entries are statically created
as part of the rootfs.
Are there any /dev entries that must be present for masquerading to work?