Re:

On 10/4/2008 6:20 AM, Sebastian Seemann wrote:
What happens if an IP is not found in the geoip-database, so it has no country-code at all? Is it accepted or not?

I don't know for sure what the GeoIP match extension will do if the IP is not in the database. I would expect the match to fail. However with inverse logic included I'd guess that the failure would turn in to a success. But with out testing, this is only a guess.

I would suppose it is accepted and, since I wanna be sure, would be thankful for a workaround simpler than adding every country in the world but the forbidden one.

I would be tempted to re-write your rule like this

   iptables -A INPUT ! -m geoip --src-cc [country] -j ACCEPT

The difference being that you are moving the negative logic out of an unpredictable failure situation (GeoIP not knowing where the IP is from) to a controlled situation (IPTables inverting the result of a match extension).

Further, the GeoIP match extension should only return a successful match /if/ the source IP is in said source country. Rather GeoIP will not match if the IP is included in the database but not associated with said country. Likewise GeoIP should not success on an unknown IP because it could not make a match.

With GeoIP behaving more predictably you can have IPTables test for GeoIP *NOT* matching.

Grant. . . .