Re: Possibilities and performance of conntrackd, NATing cluster

On 09/16/08 09:16, icovnik wrote:
I'd like to create high available and high performance router cluster. Currently I use 1 router performing NAT running on 2.6 kernel. The router slowly reaches its capacity limit, so I'd like to add another router (or two) and create a cluster from those routers. I came accross conntrack-tools which seems to offer some possibilities here - simply synchronize all router's stacks and distribute traffic to all routers. Each router would know everything about each connection, so each of them would "know" what to do witch each packet. I would simply distribute the traffic to all routers and they would do the job.

I saw this functionality in Checkpoint few years ago. Is it possible to do this witch linux kernel and conntrackd? Does conntrackd do this in real-time? With how many routers?

Purportedly this can be done with Linux using the help of conntrackd.

I know that you can do Active / Standby with conntrackd and I believe that you can do Active / Active as well. It is my understanding that conntrackd broadcasts connection state on a separate network connection. I believe that the routers participating in the conntrackd failover usually have three (or more) network cards on them, one internal and one external interface as well as an additional separate interface just for connection state information. I /believe/ that conntrackd works by using multicast to advertise it's state changes to other systems that then decide what to do with the information.

I'm thinking that you could have three systems set up like this if you wanted to. I'd expect that if you were using Active / Active you could have one system doing the inbound traffic and another doing outbound traffic with the third as a backup system in case one of the other two went down.

Remember that your traffic should (in an ideal world) pass through the same router (as far as IP is concerned) going both directions (symmetric routing) but is not required to. With this in mind I'd recommend something like VRRP for the internal and external interfaces where one router is primary for the internal and outgoing interface and the other router is primary for the external and incoming interface. Using VRRP will make things easier for upstream routers as well as down stream devices because even if things fail over to the other router the MAC address that they are communicating with will stay the same. As an aside I'd recommend that you have an IP per system plus an IP for the logical VRRP router its self. So if you are using three boxen plus the VRRP you will need four IPs per subnet to do this.

If it is not possible, how would you solve my problem? I need to route and NAT 500+ mbps in each direction. And the rate is increasing :-)

Can you separate your routing from your NATing so that there is less load?

Can you do stateless NAT and / or firewalling?

Grant. . . .