Re: iptables and performance

On 05/13/08 01:59, Eli Hadad wrote:
1. Is there a limit to the number of rules I can add to specific chain? I need to have around 20000 rules.

Not that I'm aware of.

Do you need to have 20,000 rules to be processed linearly or could they be broken out in to user-defined chains that are jumped to in a tree like structure to make the number of tests smaller (than 20,000)?

2. What is the performance implications of using this large number of rules? Is there any numbers people can share.

Well, any time you use an unoptimized list to compare against things will not be as good as they can be.

However I think if you intelligently design your (user defined) chains and use IP Sets where you can, things should be fine.

I find it very unlikely that you need a list of rules to be processed linearly one after the other looking for a match. In that list there should be a way to sub-divide and jump to smaller user defined chains to make the next decision and eventually (after a few chains and decisions there in) get to the final rule *MUCH* faster than processing each and every single rule for each and every single packet.

3. I also saw the HIPAC project which claim to have much better performance. Is there any work done to integrate same type of functionality into iptables?

I have yet to see any evidence one way or the other as to whether or not stock NetFilter and / or HIPAC are better. (Though I have not been looking either.)

Grant. . . .