Re: DNAT routing problem

On 05/08/08 13:17, Andrea Ranieri wrote:
Playing a bit with iptables, I observed a strange behavior. For example, if my router is forwarding even a few packets per second (ipv4 only payload), the rule is accepted, but not applied.

<snip>

Conversely, if no traffic is being forwarded, the rule is accepted and correctly applied.

<snip>

I really don't understand this behavior, I hope I'm missing something obivious. I'd like to point out that I'm running a standard (debian 2.6.22-14-server) kernel, and each of this two tests, comes from a fresh boot.

(Time to open my mouth and insert my foot.)

NAT rules are applied to the first packet in a connection and then the same action is auto-magically applied to all other packets in the connection with out passing them through the NAT table.

So what you are seeing is probably very likely based on existing verses new connections.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the jumbo mail :) Andrea

*nod*

Grant. . . .