Re: Dynamically adding rules - are connection tracking states maintained?

Thank you very much for your replies.
I still don't understand one thing though: Let's say I delete a rule that allows SSH traffic. There are probably many entries in the conntrack table for SSH sessions. Will these sessions continue to be allowed in, even though I have just deleted the rule that allowed SSH (and my default policy is DROP)?

On Thursday 2008-04-24 21:24, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> noa levy a écrit :
>>
>> When I add a rule to (or delete a rule from) iptables,
>> while it is running, does that have any effect on the states in the
>> connection tracking table?
>
> No.
>
>> Will the table be flushed?
>
> No.

the conntrack table remains;
the fw rule table is atomically exchanged.

>> Are states linked  to the rule that allowed the initial packet in [....] ?
>
> No.

(No,) but parameters attached to rules may get reset when loading a
new ruleset into the kernel. Now what constutitues an "attached" data
portion hm... xt_quota for example stores its quota counter with the
rule. xt_recent for example on the other hand stores its data in a
separate malloc'ed area that is safe.