Re: FW: CONNMARK and ip rule fwmark

On 3/31/2008 2:07 AM, Steffen Heil wrote:
Can you think of any reason SYN ACK packets are not seen at ANY
tables in my case?  I see the syn packet and I know the service is
running at that port!

What are the following files set to on your system?

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/log_martians

The more I think about what you are seeing, packets come in to your system but not make it to IPTables, the more I think that reverse path filter is on (set to 1) and filtering out the packets that you are trying to work with.

Consider the configuration below:

           +---+
           | C |
           +-+-+
             :
             :
+---+                 +---+
|   +- -     x     - -+   |
+-+-+                 +-+-+
  a                     b
  D                     D
  e                     e
  A                     B
| A +-oA-(OpenVPN)-oB-+ B |

When client C connects to eB, which is port forwarded to oA, A will see the traffic as being from C to oA. A would route traffic to C out via eA, not oA. If Reverse Path Filtering (a.k.a. RPF) (rp_filter) is turned on (set to 1) then the kernel on A will drop the traffic as it is coming in to the system as a martian. If RPF is not turned on (set to 0) then the kernel will route the packets with out any regard to the source / destination IP address.

I'd suggest that you enable logging of martians (set log_martians to 1) and check the syslog for reports of martians / dropped packets.

Grant. . . .